A recent Gallup study found that just under 60 per cent of Americans get 7 or more hours of sleep each night, with the unfortunate remaining 40 per cent making do with less than that. On average, Americans currently average 6.8 hours of sleep at night, down more than an hour from 1942.
Aside from the obvious health and wellbeing benefits, studies show that improvements in the length of sleep duration and quality are important for boosting workplace productivity, alertness, and employee satisfaction. These studies mean ensuring employees have enough quality sleep should be an important consideration for human resources decision makers – particularly companies employing shift workers, and those with employees performing dangerous tasks such as operating heavy machinery.
So what can be done?
A recent study published in Science Direct looked at the issue of whether companies with more flexible work hours could help their employees get more sleep, and of better quality. In today’s busy world, none of us really need to be told that getting enough sleep is difficult to manage, particularly in an inflexible ‘9 to 5’ style work environment.
The study found that allowing employees to be more flexible with their working schedule resulted in an increase in the amount and quality of sleep.
Employers wishing to introduce the practice in their firms stand to benefit from Mitrefinch employee time and attendance technology which makes it much easier to both implement and track flexible working in the company in areas such as allowing employees to choose their hours (perhaps within defined parameters), or even complete some work from home.
Contact Mitrefinch today for more information on implementing flexible work.